Thursday, August 2, 2012

Beautiful Disaster

Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful, #1)
Publisher's Synopsis: The new Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn’t drink or swear, and she has the appropriate percentage of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance between her and the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University's Walking One-Night Stand.
Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby needs—and wants—to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the ultimate college campus charmer. Intrigued by Abby’s resistance to his appeal, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis’s apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match.

My Review: I received this book as an ARC from Net Galley to preview. Since finishing it I've been thinking aboout how to review this book while leaving my soap-box under my bed and not having a total melt-down!! Its pretty difficult to be honest with you. This book is just rediculous. Rediculous that it bills itself as a love story rather than a warning to teenage girls who will undoubtably be drawn in to the beautiful cover and mild synopsis. There are so many things wrong with Travis and Abby's relationship. At 19 I dated someone pretty close to him and it was horrible. First off to the people who say that Travis was not physically violent towards Abby, I would say you are wrong. Constantly grabbing her by the wrist/or arm and dragging her around is being physically violent. Would you be happy if someone treated your daughter that way? If the answer is No its because his behavior is wrong. There is nothing sexy about being abused!!!!! He is controlling, posessive, dangerous violent, jealous, manipulative and abusive; just to name a few. I littlerally had a lump in my throat reading the parts where they argued. It was horrible. and Yeah Abby is really annoying and selfish but that isnt justification to treat another person that way Even the way he was practically physically attacking everyman that looked at her, I'm not kidding beating them to a pulp or telling her to go back in and change her outfit because he couldnt stand to think of people looking at her. Abby's room-mate Kara got it right when she said they were in a co-dependent relationship. The ending was rediculious and It didnt give me the warm fuzzies of look what they made it through together, It was more like get a restraining order and a therapist girl!!!
I would recommend this book only to someone who wants to know what being in an abuisive relationship feels like. As a Counselor I know the signs and red flags that are out there but seriously encourage anyone who doesn't/think his behavior is 'no-big-deal" Please educate yourself. I would've never picked this book had i known what the story really was about.

didn't like it (my current rating) it was ok liked it really liked it it was amazing

2 comments:

  1. I felt the same way! I felt mislead when I started reading it and realized what it was really about. I would also like to add that if I had to read about Travis's tribal tattoos one more time I think I would have vomited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there and thanks for commenting :) I could not agree more i mean tribal tattoos are like so 2002 lol anyway glad I'm not the only one.. Most of my goodreads friends loves this one. Idk why?

    ReplyDelete